Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:17:53 -0800 (PST)

	Perry wrote:

	[of my "sell the right things to get the right price" rant]
	this is an interesting viewpoint.

Good. I think your post, the one that contained:

	The problem with the open source world is that we end up constructing
	a public goods problem.

was extremely well written, insightful, and worth considering.  It
neatly sums up a lot of the discussion we've had on this list for the
past several months and poses the Central Problem of current FSB
models accurately.  Everyone should re-read it and save a copy.

My rant was just about how I think the problem you summed up is best
solved.  If others agree that its an interesting solution, another
interesting question is how to generalize it to deal with software for
home use or otherwise to be purchased by individuals (rather than
corporations).  Individuals are less rational buyers than corporations
and when they buy a home PC or gadget, probably aren't intending to
get deeply involved with the engineering process that produces it --
so if the relationship-to-engineering is the product: how does that
relate to individual consumers?

-t