Subject: Re: How accurate is Metcalfe's law? (Was: Ximian software)
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:02:41 +0100

caveat:

 I realized belatedly that it is not exactly the same problem, because
librarians (or users) have a mechanism to rank journals in usefulness
order.
  So that the first journals provide more useful references than the
journals that come later in the ranking.

  However, one can consider the net as composed of fragments, ranked
in the same way.  Then if the same rule applies, you do get the log(n)
relevancy, where n is the size of the net.

  BTW the paper by Guedon has various interesting analysis about the
economics of publishing ...  and it is fun to read (he is in history
of sciences, a very active member of ISOC and supporter of free
resources, includingfree sofware).

Bernard

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:32:59PM -0500, Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

> Bernard Lang wrote:
> > I do not know whether this is related to Odlyzko work, which I have
> > not read (I know Odlyzko in interested in library business), but this
> > reminds me of Bradford's law that is used by librarians to assess the
> > worth of a collection.
> >
> > Here is the law as explained by jean-Claude Guedon in
> > http://www.arl.org/arl/proceedings/138/guedon.html
> >
> > > Everyone in the library profession knows Bradford's distribution
> > > law. It posits a multiplier, bm, actually derived from a ratio: if you
> > > need 5 journals to survey the essential parts of your specialty and
> > > these 5 journals yield, say, 12 interesting articles, and if to find
> > > another 12 articles, you need 10 journals, then bm will be 2 (10
> > > divided by 5). And if you want to find another collection of 12
> > > articles, you will multiply the 10 journals by the multiplier and will
> > > find 20.  Obviously, returns diminish rapidly, as the multiplier grows
> > > exponentially, and it explains why scientists have long learned to
> > > moderate their urge for exhaustive searches.
> >
> > It seems to me that a similar view can be taken to assess the value of
> > a network to each customer.  At least of a phone network.
>
> Fascinating.  I have no proof, of course, but I strongly suspect that
> this principle is true of virtually any kind of information repository.
> And given your figures, if your universe of journals is about 5 million
> then there should be about 240 interesting articles in that lot - if you
> can only find them.  (It would take 5 trillion more journals to double
> that.  There are definitely diminishing returns here.)  The value of a
> search engine is that it helps you find the articles which you would
> care about if only you knew about them.  This suggests that the
> potential value of the entire universe of possible information to
> everyone scales like n*log(n), an unknown fraction of which is going to
> be inaccessible for practical reasons.  But the distribution of our
> value is highly uneven through that universe, and we need tools like
> Slashdot and search engines to allow us to consistently extract more
> than a constant times n of it.
>
> Now what happens as we see a network grow to let us access that
> information?  Well let us assume that resources in the section we care
> about are being added at random.  Then what we perceive is a roughly
> linear growth in value with the size of the network.  Of course with
> distinct jumps when items near and dear to our hearts get added.  (As a
> data point, my wife's enjoyment of email rose dramatically when her
> father got an email account.)  In other words we see Metcalfe's law in
> operation.  From which we predict amazing things!
>
> But the part of the network that we care about is distinctly finite.
> When that finite list has all been added, there is saturation.  The
> growth in parts of the network far from our interests is of minimal
> value.  Our having observed Metcalfe's law notwithstanding, the total
> [...]

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX