Subject: Re: BSD, GPL and macroeconomics
From: "Federico Lucifredi" <flucifredi@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:37:05 -0500

JSS wrote:
> > Going back to business topics, do the people on this list believe there
is
> > an economic advantage in having publicly funded research under BSD-like
> > usage conditionsas opposed to the GPL?
>
> Also, DARPA has been experimenting quietly with GPL vs conventional types
of
> agreements. In due course they will build up a portfolio of experience
from
> which to  judge whether one method is better than the other. I'm a great
> believer in empirical testing before you overturn something in public
> policy.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive
answer.
Could I ask you to mention some more details on  how DARPA is using GPL ?
Are they active proponents of such licensing policies or just merely passive
recipients of the suggestions of researchers such as yourself ?. Any
example, anecdote you can provide would be helpful

-F