Subject: Re: Meeting the MS challenge
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 3 Dec 1997 05:54:26 -0000

Brian J. Fox writes:
 > For any given freed software project, success has been directly
 > attached to the vision of a single controlling person or entity.
 > Without this type of control, you have large numbers of
 > narcissistic coders each deciding that they know best.

Okay, but how much work does it have to be to control the project?
Might it be possible that the project manager can write the APIs
between various components?  It probably takes quite a bit of skill
and experience to write APIs, but how much actual time has to be spent
doing it?  Is it even possible to "stone soup" a big project, by
writing some stub code, and releasing it to the world?

I think Peter's right that libre software won't be able to generate a
big return on investment.  If we want a lot of libre software, we have
to explore ways to reduce the investment needed to create it.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.