Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:49:20 -0800
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:49:20 -0800
on Wed, Feb 13, 2002, Simon Cozens (simon@netthink.co.uk) wrote:

> What next, would you like to claim that FreeBSD has deliberately gone
> "well out of its way" to create a non-GPLed Unix, duplicating work
> that exists in the GPLed world? Would you like to show me a GPLed CPAN
> the we duplicated "just to avoid being bound by that license"?

Not sure about FreeBSD, but this is an enumerated goal of OpenBSD:

    * Integrate good code from any source with acceptable copyright
      (Berkeley style preferred, GPL acceptable, NDA not). We want to
      make available source code that anyone can use for ANY PURPOSE,
      with no restrictions. We strive to make our software robust and
      secure, and encourage companies to use   whichever pieces they
      want to. There are commercial spin-offs of OpenBSD.

    (http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html)

Note that GNU GPL is at odds with the "for any purpose, with no
restrictions" mandate.

In discussions on the OpenBSD-misc mailing list, Theo's made clear that
replacing GPLd elements within OpenBSD is a concious, active goal and
effort.  I'd have to hunt archives, but I was participating in several
such discussions.

I don't think Ben's off base at all.

Peace.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]