Subject: Sustainable Computing Consortium -- a policy railroading vehicle?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:47:41 -0700
Fri, 24 May 2002 00:47:41 -0700
Several readers of this list will be familiar with CMU's recently
announced (and greatly criticised) "Sustainable Computing Consortium".

I've been trying to figure out just what the true objectives and impacts
of this group will be.  The nominal goal just doesn't add up.  This
leaves a number of plausible alternatives:

  - Yet another GovEduCom boondoggle.
  - A well intentioned but impotent white elephant.
  - Another wildly off-course NASA mission.

...but deep within me, my inner paranoiac is struggling to surface.
Given the focus in SCC documents on policy, I strongly suspect an
attempt to systematically freeze free software out of government
contract opportunities.

I develop these thoughts more fully at a recently deployed TWiki:

  http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SustainableComputingConsortium

I think it's a bit of a reach, but I wish it was more of one.

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]