Subject: Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 3 Dec 1997 19:21:56 -0000

Brian J. Fox writes:

 >    Date: 3 Dec 1997 18:41:36 -0000
 >    From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
 >
 >    Nonetheless, if I were going to do it again, I would have used the
 >    FPL, not the GPL.  I was a dope to give away that much value to
 >    companies the likes of FTP Software, Distinct, Beame & Whiteside,
 >    Esker, J.River, and others.
 >
 > You weren't a dope, you were a pioneer.

No, Brian, I was a dope.  When a business comes to you and says "Gee,
the non-commercial terms of your license are a real impediment to our
use of your software.  How about you give us the freedom to distribute
your software without paying you." and you say "yup, yup, yup, sure,
I'd LOVE to do that," you're a dope.  Well, okay, different words were
used, but that's pretty much what transpired.

I am confident that if I had used an FPL-type license, where
commercial users had to pay, I would be a millionaire, living off the
interest income.  And I'd be in a position to write, support, and yes
Peter, even document, libre software all day long.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.