Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:09:09 +0100

Rich Morin:
>   *  Access to an XML-based server.  The distributed code would have the
>      ability to ask an associated server for information and/or analysis.
>      Non-subscribers would have sharply limited access to this service.

If this is possible, you might like to consider the model I'm about to explore
with my CRM / mail management software: essentially, there's a core piece of
basic functionality which is open source. This can seamlessly accept a number
of plugins which add more and more advanced functionality. The core engine is
simple; the real heavy coding work goes into making these plugins extremely
"intelligent".

One or two plugins are included in the base distribution as proof of concept;
the others are held back as commercial, closed source. If you've got the
skills, you can implement the bits you're missing yourself; if not, you either
do without the additional functionality, or you pay up.

On a vaguely related note, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the successful
ransoming of Blender yet.

--
"Darkly hinting of head hitting desk"
        -- Megahal (trained on asr), 1998-11-05