Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:31:45 +0100

Rich Morin:
> What I find interesting about this suggestion, as well as several of the
> others I've seen in this thread, is the orientation toward avoiding a pure
> Open Source play.

I don't see why that's interesting: if you have a pure Open Source play,
anyone else can sell your software at a cost of $0. Hence your opportunities
for making money out of purely software sales is limited.

Instead, as you're finding, you have to find some kind of added value: be it
in support; (eg RedHat) customization; (eg VA, although they're not exactly an
FSB these days) packaging, distribution and printed documentation; (eg FSF)
closed source addons. (Maybe we can put VA here.)

I don't want to sound patronising, because I know you've been at this game a
lot longer than I have, but isn't this FSB 101?

--
I've looked at the listing, and it's right!
		-- Joel Halpern