Subject: Re: IEEE likes strong broad patents
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:00:15 +0200

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:17:54PM -0400, L Jean Camp wrote:
> Basically Festo said, you have to claim what you invent when you file. Today
> people file for the moon, then sometimes have claims limited. The Festo
> standard would have put made aggressive filing very risky.
>
> I have worked in the IEEE for many years trying to support freedom,
> competition, and open exchange of ideas.  I do not always succeed.  IEEE is
> seen as a moderate and reasonable voice,

well ... a matter of opinion.  I just (this very afternoon) failed to
get an IEEE article from my library.  They told me that the
subscription conditions weere too outrageous for them to subscribe.
My library is rather well off.

ACM is reasonnable  (even if I do not agree with all their policies).

> yet it is increasingly supporting IPR interests.

I do not remember ever hearing good noises from the IEEE side.  They
gave a very hard time to they computer branch (power games) ...  well,
many years ago when I was still interested in them.
  It has always been my feeling that they to place money and business
before science.

> Only member and public comment will change this direction of this
> organization.
>
> Please share this with any engineers or employers who may be harmed by
> stronger patents.  IBM is not exactly the poster child for open source, both
> IBM and Sun supported the limits on agressive filing since they sometimes
> actually invent as well as patent.
>
> The IEEE is proud of  the language from their submission being part of this
> ruling. The IEEE is proud of having 'protected intellectual property rights.
> As software engineers, are you well served? If not, tell Chris and tell
> someone else in IEEE.

as I said ... IEEE could not care less ... money ... money

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX