Subject: Re: EU REPORT CALLS FOR WIDESPREAD OPEN SOURCE ADOPTION
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:36:17 -0700
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:36:17 -0700
on Wed, Jul 10, 2002, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-fsb@lwn.net) wrote:
> > A European Commission (EC) funded report has recommended that governments
> > share and adapt software via the Open Source model.
>
> ...sort of.  I read all 150 pages of that report, and posted my impressions
> here:
>
> 	http://lwn.net/Articles/4400/
>
> It's a kind of "members only" open source.  A step in the right direction,
> but it's only so open.

Based on your capsule here (I've read neither the report nor your
summary, there's only 25 hours in a day), that's Tim O'Reilly's "gated
source" idea from a ways back.

It's a halfway there solution.  It wears very uneasily with me, and I
feel it breaks some fundamentals of the free software dynamic.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]