Subject: Re: selling SCM solutions
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:29:37 -0700

   Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:08:52 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>

   I think there's multiple levels of concerns here.  On the one hand,
   there's small companies, who (much as you describe) have to focus on
   their most immediate concerns.

How interesting, that you think that you are involved in a debate on
the right way to sell your stuff.  You might be involved, but nobody
else is -- we're all just telling you the way that it is, and you
(after asking us to do exactly that) are telling us the way that
you think it is.

	   the underlying technology is all but irrelevant.

   Only if your perspective is ridiculously short-term.

No, the underlying technology is all but irrelevant in the sales
process.  My important requisites in the sales process are:

	1) The customer has a need (not a want),

	2) The customer believes that my product satisfies that need,

	3) The customer believes that I understand their needs,
           such that I will be continuing to provide them with
           responsive support and features in the future,

	4) The customer has enough trust in my integrity to believe
           what I say, and

	5) My solution saves the customer money (either short, or
           long term) depending on the customer.

One reason (in the past) that "you don't get fired for buying IBM" is
that they have so much of 3 and 4, that 2 and 5 appear almost
insignificant in comparison.

Contrariwise, you display so little of 3 and 4 that you can't get
customers to listen to you at all.

The people on this list who are responding to you are doing you a
tremendous favor that you would never get from a customer -- they are
giving you the respect of believing that you are salvageable, and are
carefully explaining what you need to change, within yourself, in
order to start the process of becoming financially solvent in the
software business.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit