Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:27:49 +0100

Adam Turoff:
> > > If we get too picky with our definitions, we may find that the only
> > > businesses that make real money off Free Software aren't actually FSBs!
> >
> > To me, the possibility of that conclusion makes it vital that we do
> > examine this properly.
>
> Rich's conclusion is that there is no such thing as an FSB.

The conclusion *I* was referring to at least is that "it may be the
case that the majority of businesses who make money out of free software
don't do so in a pure-FSB manner, and the majority of those who try to be
pure-FSB don't turn a profit".

> If I understand your point, Simon, then "para-Open Source"

And so my point was basically "we ought to look more deeply into whether or
not that conclusion is true, because if it is, it will affect how we council
new FSB startups."

Simon

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
your computer."  --Bruce Graham