Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:13:53 -0700

On Sunday, Sep 15, 2002, at 09:41 US/Pacific, La Monte Henry Piggy
Yarroll wrote:
> Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:
>> I'm sure someone will
>> put the code somewhere on the Net (as they can under the GPL).
>> Now, if we were talking about corporate customers, maybe not.
>> But there are plenty of people who give out proprietary software when
>> they
>> have paid for it and it is illegal; why wouldn't they when it is
>> legal?
>
> I think there are folks on this list who could give more accurate
> data, but I believe that Cygnus distributed the EGCS tool chain this
> way for many years.  It did not become widely available until Cygnus
> released it themselves.

We never attempted to restrict our customers from redistributing
software we gave them if they wanted to.

In fact EGCS was a way of getting our changes into a wider audience
(and doing the same with other folks' deltas as well).  The hassle
involved in having all those changes of ours, which we were shipping
and maintaining, not being part of the mainline sources was huge.

I don't really know Rich's target community, but I doubt GPLing the
software will materially change the number of people who pay.  I
believe that the shareware comm'y is used to a pretty low "pay rate"
already.