Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:59:25 +0500

There are many things that I could respond to, but let me
focus on just one...

"Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/02 12:41 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
[...]
> > Unfortunately, there's a substantial school that's hostile to that
> > whole train of thought.  Business is about withholding the product
> > until you're confident of being paid.  Free software, especially
> > copyleft, is about getting the product out there, and making sure it
> > stays out there, whatever downstream entities want to do with it.  It
> > takes a sense of balance and compromise to work out the apparent paradox.
>
> I see free software as a great way to deliver what Clayton Christenson
> called disruptive technologies.  They don't have to be commercialized
> immediately for them to have a huge impact.  And in fact, they are often not
> very successful at first [...]

This is great for most of us.  But why should ANY
established business which understands Clayton
Christensen's thesis not see this as a damned good
reason to run screaming in terror from free software?

  "Yes, you are going to enable competitors that
  you will not even see until they eat your market
  out from under you, with no hope of your
  successfully resisting!  And the harder you work
  to satisfy your customers, the harder it will be
  for you to figure out what is going on.  Isn't
  this great!"

  "Umm...is there an option B?"

Cheers,
Ben