Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:27:28 +0900

 Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:27:28 +0900

    Forrest> Sounds like you have your "half-empty" glasses on today.

Not really.

    Forrest> (And your choices of imprecise, undefined, and subjective
    Forrest> terms to make a point is unlike what you usually write.)

Undefined (to you) and allegorical, but not imprecise or subjective.
Basically I'm simply asserting that there is a rearrangement of
economic activity toward producing more free software that will make
everybody in society happier in their own opinions.

The challenge of this thread is to define [...] "benefits of FS."

Education, modifiability, flexibility, foundation for future
development, less alienation, more human fulfillment.  The last two
are admittedly hard to quantify, but we can be pretty sure that
freeing more software increases them.

    Forrest> [1] - Actually if you take a look at any SourceForge
    Forrest> category you will see a huge amount of duplicated work as
    Forrest> well.  Ego rules, but rules less strongly in FS.

I think you should reread "Homesteading the No÷sphere."  Having
participated in a couple of code-sharing experiments at XEmacs (ie,
XEmacs tried to borrow somebody else's code), I think that the
technical barriers to code sharing are quite high.  I suspect that
this is another in the list of things that money can buy better than
love.