Subject: Re: Successful FSBs a pov
From: eric hamilton <dilvie@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:50:18 -0800 (PST)

> The Biggest Obstacle to Adoption of Free Software,
> is, , ,
>
> software piracy.

I'd have to say that I agree and disagree.  I agree that the
open-source community would be larger if the penny pinchers all flocked
to OSS -- but I don't see that happening anytime soon, for a few simple
reasons:

1) Open Source software doesn't fill the needs of small - medium sized
business.

As much as I hate to admit it, the open-source world still has a long
way to go in terms of developing software for business.  Business
desktops need to be consistant -- and open-source desktops are
generally anything but.. it's getting better, but that's the situation
currently.

2) Small companies do not have the technical resources to fill in the
missing pieces in-house.

3) The cost of filling in the missing pieces in-house is at best,
roughly the same as purchasing licenses, and at worst, many times more.

That's not to say that open-source software has no place in business --
I believe just the opposite, but it is not a trivial thing for a small,
understaffed business with few technical resources to get into... yet.

- Eric

=====
If I didn't have ears, I'd make music with paint.
The only limits in life are the ones we set ourselves.

download my music:  http://www.dilvie.com

help us search for a cancer cure with your CPU's idle time:  http://www.mp3.com/stations/globaldanceculture