Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:27:02 -0500 (EST)

Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr> wrote in part:

> I believe not ... because the hardware strategy was open, while the
> software one was closed.  Which was a succesful combination because
> harware was the higher cost where competition was most needed.

In this thread people keep asserting the PC was open, but as
I recall it, the IBM PC architecture was NOT open originally,
and there were lots of growing pains before there was a market
for alternate suppliers.  Am I wrong?

Even the IBM PC technical repair manuals had the notices of
proprietary information and warnings against misuse.

Thank goodness IBM didn't invent the PC, or the world
would have been patented out of creating a commodity.