Subject: Re: Text of SCO's complaint
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:32:04 +0000

on Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:57:36AM +0000, Ben Laurie (ben@algroup.co.uk) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:52:33PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf

> >>But they might hold copyright rights, no?
> >

> >As I said earlier:  based on a cursory read, the IP rights claimed seem
> >vague at best, and several comments in particular seem to be claims that
> >there must have been dasterdlies done by IBM 'coz there's no way
> >GNU/Linux could get that good that fast otherwise.
> >
> >Which was why I posted *the damned text of the complaint*.
> >
> >obSlashdot:  How about somebody actually reads the damned thing before
> >running of yet more at the mouth?
>
> Did you read it? It seems quite clear that they are specifically
> alleging that open sourcing printer drivers (91) and the journaling
> filesystem (92) are examples of infringement.

I've given it a good first read now.  Going through the particulars now.

Printers, journaling, and SMP.  Stay tuned.

Most of the GNU/Linux section (74-86 inclusive) is flat wrong, where it
doesn't simply contain gross errors.

> There's a lot of fluff, too, I'll admit :-)

Dunno.  Fluff with a $1b price tag sounds more like brass knuckles or
baffle 'em with bullshit.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/