Subject: Re: economic efficiency of free software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:42:36 -0500

L Jean Camp writes:

 > Because forcing information into the tautology of classic economics
 > has a terrible price ---because it requires scarcity to work.  The
 > market requires scarcity and thus denial in order to function.

But ... Jean, software *is* scarce, and I am being denied software
that I desire by the market.  This is true regardless of copyright
laws.  I can think of a half-dozen programs that I'd like to have,
which are scarce because they don't exist.

Remember Nelson's Maxim: there are no problems, only unmet business
opportunities.  If you can figure out a way to save people money
through your actions, then you can convince them to share a portion of
those savings with you, triggering your action.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Coding in Python
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     is like