Subject: Re: SMB Linux approaches?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:47:54 -0800
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:47:54 -0800
on Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:58:41AM -0500, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
wrote:

> >  - A handful too small or disorganized to get anything together.  It's
> >    a pretty non-technical market, for the most part.  Though they
> >    generally  do  recognize the benefits of Internet advertizing --
> >    pretty much all the hospitality / travel / tourism industry has
> >    picked this up.
>
> True there, not yet true on the Florida Gulf Coast. I'd say fewer than
> 25% of local tourist-related businesses here have figured out that a Web
> site can help them reach people in Michigan and the rest of the Frozen
> Northland "at home" for lots less money than advertising in a million
> tourist guides.
>
> That's a wide-open business here. The few who are actively pursuing it
> charge thousands and give little in return for the money. It's sort of
> shocking...

My own eye-opener was when planning a trip to Germany in 1998.  I found
that I could get the ICE (high speed rail) schedule from Frankfurt to
Ulm, including bracketing a range of departures and arrivals around the
time I and my mother (flying in separately) would likely be leaving the
airport.  Information which simply isn't accessible otherwise.  Well,
maybe a travel agent would have been able to obtain it, but after an
hour on the phone, and with all the frictions intermediation imposes.

There are limits -- social limts -- as well.  Example:  while a hotel
might want to offer online registration, most B&Bs and smaller inns,
where the logings are frequently the owner's home, don't.  They'd prefer
the opportunity to sniff you in person.

Still:  for general information "brochure" sites, local attractions,
weather, photos, maps, etc., can't be beat.

Peace.

    All roads lead to Rome.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]