Subject: Re: SMB Linux approaches?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:05:58 -0800
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:05:58 -0800
on Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:38:32AM -0500, Chip Mefford (cpm@well.com) wrote:

> Interesting,
> I wish you all the luck in the world.
>

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> | Overleaf:  a list of legacy MS Windows ills: Spam, Viruses, Computer
> | crashes, Operating system and application upgrade costs, Poor vendor
> | support, Security worries, Incompatible systems, Mandated hardware
> | upgrades, Popups, Spyware, ...
>
> I have spent a little bit of time over the last 5 years ponder how to
> do the exact same thing, only I was looking at not-for-profits rather
> than the smbs.

They're also on the list.

Incidentally, for anyone who's looking at this, Idealist.org has a
really nifty search feature allowing geographic (city/state) search for
NPOs:

    http://www.idealist.org/

E.g.:  over 700 organizations listed in San Francisco.

It appears to be one of the better respected non-profit oriented sites.

I've also got some direct leads/contacts in this area.

> I agonized over this part of the approach a great deal.
> and decided that I really wasn't able to go down this road.
>
> A lot of folks use the legacy windows ills every day, all day,
> and simply don't know that there is anything better, and don't
> particulary care. If they they have friends who use Macintoshes,
> they already get ears full of how evil Windows is.
>
> There's an old saw about negative advertising.

Yes...?

> Then there is the fine point of buy once, use often.  Set up and
> utilize this OS and that software, then as you grow, you just add on.
> No need to rekey, repurchase, re whatever. Your cost-per-seat is not
> an issue. Not at all.

Particularly in the LTSP or similar thin-client office solution.  New
user?  Drop a PC down, add 'em to the server, and netboot.

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret,  Betrayal of Trust

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]