Subject: Re: open source policy across the globe
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:10 -0500

L Jean Camp writes:
 > The software market "works" under an exclusion model even when there is
 > proof, in running code and viable businesses, that the exclusion model
 > is not necessary. I don't think we should prohibit closed software,
 > don't get me wrong, but that a strict property model makes more money
 > for some subset of the people involved in software does not make it
 > superior in policy terms.

Of course.  They're monopolies charging monopoly prices.  The markets
that you criticize don't sustain monopolies.  The only sustainable
monopolies are government-granted monopolies.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | I'm giving a short
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | talk at WTF, Isen's