Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:17:47 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > eg, pharmaceuticals, where the "public safety" regulation makes
 > development of a new drug a huge gamble that often loses, and I
 > really don't think we want to do without the public safety
 > regulation---Russ might disagree.

Yes, I disagree, and so do many others.  Google for "abolish the fda".

I hesitated to reply to this, because by itself, it's off-topic.
However, I have heard that there will be cheap drug synthesis machines
available in the near future which can make "designer drugs".  Sounds
like the same thing as the cheap desktop computer which made open
source a mass market.  So will there be a "Free Drug Business" mailing
list sometime?  Yes, I believe so, and they'll have to face many of
the same problems we have faced and will face.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Freedom means allowing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people to do things the