Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:43:20 -0800
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:43:20 -0800
on Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 01:36:42AM -0800, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:24:00AM +0100, David N. Welton (davidw@dedasys.com) wrote:
>
> > Oracle, for instance, makes their money off of a proprietary software
> > product.  They support Linux where it's strategic for them, and
> > otherwise, just get on with things.  They seem to have much less
> > love/hate surrounding them than Sun.  Perhaps that will change as the
> > free databases continue to grow up, but that's another email, another
> > day.
>
> Oracle doesn't compete with GNU/Linux.  It manages to benefit from it,
> somewhat nicely.
>
> Where Oracle's going to start feeling conflicted is when the Free
> Software databases start nibbling noticeably at its bottom end.  I first
> called this as a likely emerging trend, about five years out, in
> 2001/2002.  Likely to be slowly developing, in large part because
> enterprise database systems are so damned fugly.  But with corporate
> churn continuing and emerging markets, that day will come.  Probably
> within the next 2-3 years, not too far off my original estimate.
>
> Curiously, since Oracle and Sun are being breathed with the same breath
> in this discussion, I tried to half-heartedly flog the idea of the two
> companies merging.  Again, ~2001/2 timeframe.  If they had, they  might
> have produced a hardware + platforms + services company to match IBM.
> Personalities would have got in the way, and possibly did.

Hrm.  So who at Sun is reading this list?

    http://news.com.com/Sun+floats+open-source+database+idea/2100-7344 3-5562799.html

    Sun floats open-source database idea
    Published: February 4, 2005, 4:00 AM PST
    By Stephen Shankland
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

    SANTA CLARA, Calif.--Sun Microsystems has raised the possibility
    that it might offer customers its own database, a move that could
    trigger displeasure at Oracle but curry favor with open-source
    advocates.

    Chief Executive Scott McNealy offered the provocative idea
    Wednesday at a meeting of influential financial analysts at Sun's
    headquarters here. During a speech, he showed a slide that placed
    the words "Sun DB" next to a list of existing database products.

    McNealy offered no details besides "stay tuned," but Sun President
    Jonathan Schwartz indicated in an interview that database software
    is one possible way Sun plans to extend into new open-source
    software realms.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]