Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Tim O'Reilly <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:50:06 -0800

On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> I couldn't find the paper on the web, do you have an URL?
> I wouldn't be surprised if those 5% of Sun code were just OpenOffice,
> that thing is huge in terms of lines of code.

Actually, the work I'm referring to was back in 1998, well before Open
Office.  I can't find the original figures -- they may have even been
in the 1998 man page for CODD, the tools that was used for the work.

There's some more recent work (with different results) at:

http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_7/ghosh/

and

http://www.infonomics.nl/FLOSS/report/Final5all.htm

In this later work, the FSF is coming out at about 11%, with Sun at
1.8%.  But as the report notes, many of the non-FSF contributors are
individually named in the copyrights, rather than the institution they
belonged to, while the FSF claims all of the work that is done by any
of the individual contributors.

Sorry I can't find the original reports.

Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
707-827-7000
http://www.oreilly.com (company), http://tim.oreilly.com (personal)