Subject: Re: CIO Magazine on Open Source
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:33:33 -0800
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:33:33 -0800
on Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:27:30PM -0800, DV Henkel-Wallace (gumby@henkel-wallace.org)
wrote:
> On 06 Mar 2005, at 23:05, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> >
> >Is that so surprising? Here in Germany, the largest computer mag
> >sports 3-4 fullpage ads from Microsoft, all while the articles
> >are singing the praises of Linux and the editorial stuff have
> >built and continue to support half a dozen specialized Linux
> >distributions for various purposes. And that's just ads running
> >in a Linux-friendly technie mag; the less technical it gets, the
> >more pronounced the schizophrenia becomes.
>
> I find that Info World is the only trade rag that really takes FOSS
> seriously.  But they have a broader readership base  and  advertising
> base than CIO magazine.

It's interesting / amusing / ironic / sad for those of us who've
followed InfoWorld over the years.  I was first attracted to it around
1997/98 when Nick Petreley's column covered the topic periodically.
This shortly after the flameout over the OS/2 readers' choice awards.

Some of you may have noticed mentions I've made of TWikIWeThey (the site
http://sco.iwethey.org/ is a page of same).  The short version of the
long story is that a group of the "InfoWorld Electric" (IWE) forums
decamped as IWE first blundered, then largely abandoned, their online
forums.  The group is now self-hosting, on its own forum software
(using Zope).  The Wiki is based on TWiki, but hosts on the same box.

More irony:  Ed Foster's Gripeline now runs on Scoop, the Kuro5hin CMS,
which I'd advocated  strongly  to IWE as it considered several other
alternatives.  Best I can tell at present, the online site has dropped
forums altogether, though its columns are now plugged as "blogs".

I rarely read anything there unless it's referenced via an aggregator
site.

Peace.

    This suggests a more troubled future for Gnome than I had imagined.
    - Chip Salzenberg, on GNOME developer attitudes
      http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-January/008588.html

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]