Subject: Re: Journal / Trade Mag?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:51:43 -0800
wrote:

> Mozilla's greatest success is a rebel project that broke away from the
> mainstream browser.  And yes, Firefox *has* taken the world by storm,
> though I'm not sure how much of the publicity it managed to garner was
> self-directed or came out of the Mozilla project proper.  Mind:
> capitalizing on successful forks is  strongly  recommended, and there
> don't appear to be  too  many overt hard feelings between the Mozilla
> and FFX communities, though some frictions have surfaced.

Looks as if I may have spoke too soon:

    Mozilla's future under debate
    Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia, 10 March 2005
    ZDNet Australia
    http://uk.builder.com/webdevelopment/design/0,39026630,39239597,00.htm

    Development problems concerning the Mozilla Suite have led to some
    soul-searching in the Foundation, with some calling for Firefox to
    be spun off

    The survival of the original Mozilla Suite is very much in doubt as
    developers question whether the success of stand-alone products
    Firefox and Thunderbird mean the death of the integrated suite that
    spawned them.

    Mozilla developers on the 'netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey'
    newsgroup have been in fierce debate over the future of the open
    source suite since the minutes of the 28th February mozilla.org
    staff meeting were posted online on the 7th of March. At that stage
    the demise of the Mozilla suite was hinted at by one solitary line:
    "*Mozilla 1.8 final* -- to be discussed tomorrow whether we do
    one".

Peace.

    The quick red fox jumps over the lazy blue 'E'
    http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]