Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: Jonathan Magid <jem@sunsite.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, William C. Cheng wrote:
>   >
>   > Seriously, Linux is filling a real need right now,
>   > although I suspect it's taking far more away from the
>   > "proprietary" UNIXen than from Window9*. It's probably
>   > measurably still hurting WindowsNT in the server world.

Here at sunsite (one of the widely used Linux archives), we've always told
people at Sun when they asked the obvious question: "Why are you using
Sun's money to support linux, Solaris's competition", that Linux doesn't
compete much with Solaris- that largely it brings users from the Microsoft
camp and familiarizes them with Unix- thus making them potential
Solaris/Sparc buyers.

This is even probably true to a large extent- I think relatively few Linux
installations are former Solaris installations. To some extent Intel/Linux
competes with Sparc/Solaris at the low-end in servers, but I suspect it
takes much more away from Windows/NT, and that our argument that "any new
Unix user" is a good thing.

To a large extent, that's why Linux is good for Unix in general. For
years, Unix vendors have concentrated on cannibalizing each others' market
shares, while the size of the Unix pie got smaller. Linux has opened up
the Unix market to lots of new segments of users by providing a cheap
entry.

>     Graham Lovell, group marketing manager for education at Sun,
>     denied the release had anything to do with the growing popularity
>     of Linux, a free version of Unix that has gained support from
>     Netscape and Novell.  "Linux is not the competition," he said.
>     "The competition is non-Unix operating systems.

And this shows that they bought the argument internally. :)

cheers,
jem.
--
jem@sunsite.unc.edu|SunSITE/METAlab Minister of Technology (Full Time Geek)