Subject: To help or not?
From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 11:23 EDT

Should FSB staff give away free help on newsgroups/mailing lists?  Is
the advertising value greater than the income lost?

I have an opinion.  I think it's *only* possible to have an opinion,
because advertising works its effects in people's brains, and so is
very hard to measure.  My feeling is that the advertising value is
greater than the time spent.

People have a tendency to skip past or, when read, disbelieve
advertising.  You have to do *something* to get the word out, and a
lot of people read news.  So, not advertising is mostly not an option.
Answering some questions helps establish your reputation [presuming
that your answer is correct :)], lets people know that you exist, and
gives people a taste of what you can do on a paid basis.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/nelson.html
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.