Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Harald Koch <chk@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:58:00 -0500

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, "Joshua C. Lerner"
had to walk into mine and say:

> Yes, capitalism is oriented around corporations trying to maximize profit.
> Individuals too are generally interested in maximizing income.

Most individuals I know are interested in maximizing "standard of
living", an entirely different measure which (after a certain point) is
only loosely related to income.

This is one of the disconnects between pure free-market capitalism and
reality; money is not the only measure of progress or perfection.
Neither is "efficient resource allocation", but that's another argument :)

> The paradox of capitalism, IMHO, is that the needs of society as a whole
> are best met when businesses and individuals act in their own best
> self-interest. Others have explained why better than I ever could.

Unfortunately, businesses and indivuduals seldom act in their own best
self-interest; that's *hard*. For corporations, there are numerous
pressures to do the opposite; quarterly earnings expectations are one
obvious one. Individuals rarely even known what their own best
self-interest is.

What does this have to do with free software business? Well, if you
reason from an abstract model that doesn't have much connection to
reality, don't expect realistic conclusions... <grin>

--
Harald Koch     <chk@pobox.com>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
		-Michael T. Fry