Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Harald Koch <chk@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:45:21 -0500

> I'd argue that part of the reason Apache and GCC win and AbiWord does
> not is that Apache and GCC have people in big businesses who care
> enough to throw money at them because they need them, but that so far
> people haven't found their way to do that with desktop apps.

Personally, I suspect network effects here. (This is the "I use an
application because everyone else does" syndrome). Network effects don't
seem to apply to back office applications, because they have
(relatively) few users, who are more capable of adapting to multiple
systems. (I run all three of IIS, iplanet web server, and Apache on a
regular basis).

--
Harald Koch     <chk@pobox.com>

"It takes a child to raze a village."