Subject: Advertising on Usenet
From: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 93 16:33:31 -0500 (EST)

   Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1993 15:52:23 EST
   From: "Russell Nelson" <nelson@CRYNWR.COM>

   Should
   anyone ask the question "Gee, I wonder if packet drivers are
   supported", or "How do I get packet driver support", I would
   cheerfully post my advertisement.

But your 'advertisement' is more of an 'infomercial' that's more
'info-' than '-mercial', which is, I think, the crucial point about
'advertising' on the USENET.

Another thing that others (frequently me, though not lately) have done
when mentioning a commercial product or service to the net in a
pseudo-advertisement is to list other sources of similar (competing)
products and services. This increases the information content and
makes it a lot more acceptable to people.