Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Jonathan Magid <jem@cnidr.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:58:09 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  I use QuickBooks myself and it's very
> nice, but it doesn't run on Linux.

It might run under Wine.

> I want an accounting package on top of a
> real SQL database, that uses TeX as the printing engine.  I want
> source and a development environment, so I can extend it.  Under a few
> hundred $ would be nice, too.  Libre would be even nicer.

Hmm. You may be a market of one (or close to it). Your best bet is to take
one of the free accounting programs for Linux that exists and add the
features you want. Try here:

xacc: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~rclark/xacc/
banal: ftp://pgw.on.ca/pub/banal

or looking ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/financial/accounting

cheers,
jem.