Subject: Re: Summer reading
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:45:34 -0800
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:45:34 -0800
on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 02:57:37PM -0700, Anderson, Kelly (KAnderson@dentrix.com) wrote:

>> I've just (today) picked up my on-order copy of Steven Weber's
>>  Success of Open Source .  It's been relatively well recommended,
>> though I found the first chapter's reiteration of the Coca Cola
>> metaphor (secret formula) to be tiresome.  Coke's not a formulation,
>> it's a brand and marketing strategy.  Which itself might be a
>> valuable lesson....

> I have it about half read, and I like it a lot.

I'm in about 5-6 chapters and have to say I agree.

There are a few mostly minor niggles.  The substance of the book is
excellent, scope is good, and a good job is done of both dismissing
myths and loose rationalizations posed by others  and  providing
substantive and strong alternatives.

Weber gets this stuff, very, very well.

Peace.

    Never send a human to do a machine's job.
    - The Matrix

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]