Subject: Re: Users Views
From: darin@INFOGRAPH.COM (Darin Wayrynen)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 09:52:39 -0700 (MST)

 > > Look at drafting.  10 years ago, most companies had to draft things by
 > > hand, now they are done with packages like AutoCad, Designer, etc.  If
 > > you've ever had to edit a E size document by hand, then you would
 > > realize that making changes with a computer based document is much
 > > faster.
 >
 >   I'd expect this to be an area where there have, indeed, been major
 >   productivity increases.
 >
 > Do either of you know Drafting people/Architects?  Not sure about your
 > crowd, but i know a few architects (on the east coast) that can draw AND
 > update documents faster than someone running AutoCAD (I have seen this
 > with my own eyes). Most Architects complain that autocad is too slow,
 > too cumbersome, and does not give the printing/viewing resolution for
 > many drawings (ie, 300 dpi is not fine enough).

There are always going to be exceptions to any rule.  I am sure there
are some really fast drafters/architects that can can modify/create
drawings faster than the AVERAGE mouse/digipad jockey.

Computer based drafting tools really show off their stuff when it comes
time to modify existing documents.  I'm getting out of my field of
experience here, so I will digress.

I write vector/raster CAD file translators/viewers/editors for a
living.  My experience is in modification/markup of existing drawings.
It doesn't matter if the files are computer based, or on paper (we can
handle any dpi, 1200 not being that uncommon).

I will agree that Autocad is NOT the state of the art when it comes to
CAD packages.  It just happens to dominate the market by sheer numbers.
There are other packages that make it look like a toy, Microstation and
the tools from Mentor Graphics come to mind.

Another benifit of using computer based tools is that you can actually
do things to those documents other than edit/modify them.  You can run
analysis programs on them to do all sorts of things.  The neatest
example I ever saw was a system that had the full planes for a jet
airplane, can't say which one :-(, where you could take any section of
the plane, zoom in, get a detailed list of all the parts in that
section, take one of the parts out, set up stress points, apply
pressures, etc, and see a colorized stress analysis of that part.  You
could take multiple parts together as a whole and apply stress on
them, etc.  Somehow I don't see how that can be done as interactively
with hand drawn documents.

 > I'd like to see someone do a free cad package of sorts - something to
 > either take on autocad or some of the vlsi layout packages. Their is a
 > BIG business in that, since so many cad people can't stand what is there
 > now (ask any synopsis/verilog/cadence user for their input on this).

Your statement shows why there will never be a free cad package.  It's
BIG business.  It's not something a group of poeple are going to get
into without looking for some sort of compensation.

If anyone ever starts one, let me know though!  :-)

 > tim

Darin Wayrynen                        UUCP:     uunet!uupsi4!infogrf!darin
Paragon Consulting Group              INTERNET: darin@infograph.com
                                      PHONE:    602-437-9566