Subject: Re: US Software Patents Hit Record High (fwd)
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:51:43 -0700

simo wrote:
> With Free Software you bet that being first and cheap the adoption rate
> will be so high that, being you the developer, you will get a
> substantial amount of support/customization/certification requests than
> any other player. This means playing around a brand, a thing we are
> often not very good at.

Which is a crap bet because developers aren't all that special.   You might
not have noticed but the check-signers and the "thought leaders" that have
shaped the FLOSS industry recently have worked pretty seriously in the
direction of making developers into a commodity.   F' Creativity, is their
orientation -- that s is too fussy and complicated to deal with.

-t