Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:39:25 -0700

begin Thomas Lord quotation of Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:51:26PM -0700:

> Getting volunteers to jump through hoops
> with sporadic and unreliable rewards, arbitrary
> penalties, myth-making and rumor-spreading
> is an awfully odd business plan, if you ask me.

Motivating hackers to write code is like motivating
sheep to grow wool.  Amateurs write software whether
or not the open source industry exists.  Some people
solve Sodoku or crossword puzzles, others code.

Besides, nobody banned shareware.

  http://www.asp-shareware.org/join/join.asp

It's still legal, along with its relatives adware and
postcardware.  And shareware was a business before
Free Software was.  The exploited hackers don't have
to break out of their shells and start a new movement,
just pick up a shareware book and join the existing
shareware community.

--
Don Marti                                               +1 510-814-0932
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/