Subject: Re: Paul Fremantle on Open Source Business
From: Federico Lucifredi <flucifredi@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:32:33 -0400

On 5/22/10 8:24 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I find it perilously close to Stallman's caricature of ESR.  You don't
> have to buy into the Free Software Movement's claims of some sort of
> inalienable right to copy software developed by others to take the
> position that open source is more than just another "business focus".

That may very well be, however answering a business argument with
mentioning six times "social" or "society" benefits does little in a
real business conversation, which is driven by $.

If there is no sustainable business advantage, the "antisocial" side may
well win on money grounds alone. That is worth thinking about.

Best -Federico

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi@acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C