Subject: Re: Thoughts on GPL
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:50:38 -0500

> Next contestant.  :-)

I have a negative example.

A year ago I did a survey among my serious sales prospects for Host
Factory.  20 out of 22 told me flat out that they or their management
would never pay for something they could download for free.  I bless
these folks for their honesty.

The remaining two told me they'd buy it anyway, because vendor support
was necessary for them.  I suspect their answer was partially a price
negotiating tactic.  As far as I know these two do not have a history
of purchasing GPL software.

Most respondants told me that a "lease" model would be more easily
digested by their budgetary process than any kind of "purchase" model.
I've heard the "lease" model described as a more honest description of
the rights you get with a typical commercial software license.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org