Subject: Re: Pitching Free Software [Quotes]
From: "Juergen A. Erhard" <jae@laden.ilk.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:58:20 +0200

 Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:58:20 +0200

    Bob> You are better off with the car analogy:

    Bob> "Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"

Two points:

  1. we totally agree here... this is what most people would have a
     much easier time to understand.  And I came to that conclusion
     before sending the message, I just didn't manage to express
     this...

  2. This (as jsshapiro (who *are* you, anyway) has already said) is a
     very nice sound bite... you could even put it on a bumper sticker
     (or maybe I'll make a TShirt... hope you wouldn't object ;-)

    Bob> The answer, despite the fact that few of us wouldn't know
    Bob> where to start in maintaining or repairing an auto engine, is
    Bob> "of course not".

I hope to ellicit this response (the more spontaneous this comes, the
better ;-) when I try this (on someone that needs convincing).

    Bob> The benefit that opening the hood gives us (as car or Open
    Bob> Source users) is that we have control.  We can repair it
    Bob> ourselves, we can get our Uncle Joe to fix it, we can take it
    Bob> to one of the 100,000 (US alone) local car repair shops, or
    Bob> we can take it back to the dealer.

Maybe I was neglecting this angle in favor of the home appliances one
because my dad was into fixing things at home in a big way... but he
always turned the family car in to the nearest dealership when
necessary...  though my brother-in-law is a automobile mechanic, so go
figure...

    Bob> But it's our choice.  If the hood was welded shut we'd have
    Bob> to ship it back to the manufacturer.  In the software sense
    Bob> the binary only model means we have to wait for the
    Bob> manufacturer to repair/upgrade the software, and what happens
    Bob> when they decide that the fix we need is not important enough
    Bob> to address?

The old problem... I had a friend who's working for Siemens as a
software developer.  They are very much into M$-Everything (big
surprise here).  Now, they didn't have lack of support by M$... they
had a big support contract, *and* a name that certainly even M$
recognizes (there's a saying about Siemens: they're a bank with an
added industrial complex...)

Anyway,

Bye, J

- --