Subject: Re: Economics of software distribution
From: mcdermot@CS.UNM.EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 93 08:32:34 MST

Regardless of the pure economics of the situation is the inertia against
"free" software.  A collegue of mine works for a DoD subcontractor.  He
would love to use gcc, and a number of other free packages such as rcs.
Management, there, however PROHIBITS free software: the official reason
is that "free software contains viruses"...
So, charging for free software inserts  a human which legitimizes the software.
This adds to the "value" of free software and hence helps provide the
value-added we need to make marketing of free software viable.
--john
John McDermott					505/897-2064 H/W
mcdermot@rye.cs.unm.edu		(The facts/opinions above are MINE, MINE, MINE)
[ UNM only lets me use this account because they are nice.  I have no
	relationship with them whatsoever (besides being friends).]