Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:36:24 -0400

In message <199808270447.AAA23651@battleship>, Brian Bartholomew writes:
> > Second, it is sufficient to know when to stop charging.  If, after a
> > certain point, the charge mechanism simply stops billing you have
> > achieved the free property you wanted.
>
> Do you mean run-time monitoring?  Big brother scares me.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.  I took you to be saying that you charged
for each of the early copies, and only after the work was paid for did
you go libre.

The only way I know to enforce that is run-time monitoring of some
sort (or perhaps just monitoring of the first execution).

If you're not willing to do that, then scratch my suggestion.  If you
*are* willing to do that, it's no worse to do it after you turn off
the charge mechanism.

Actually, you could simply set it up so it would run if there was no
answer from the server, and then delete the server at the appropriate
time.

Still, I basically agree with you -- runtime monitoring sucks.

shap