Subject: Re: I want terms that are midway between proprietary and GPL
From: Nassib Nassar <nassar@etymon.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:35:10 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 05:13:32PM -0400, Kragen wrote:
> One of the things I expect to happen in the next decade, which worries
> me a lot with regard to the GPL: the distinction between "linking with
> a library" and "using a program" will become less and less real.  If I
> link with stubs that call routines with RPC, am I linking with those
> routines?  If I ldopen() a program, replace several of the system call
> jump gates with my own routines, and jump to main(), am I linking with
> the program, or am I just running it?
>
> If Java takes off, this will be an especially big problem.

We're having this problem right now with some Java packages (a PDF
programming library we have released under LGPL and some information
retrieval software still under development).

A good way to make a Java program easy to extend and configure is to
reference classes through an abstract base class or interface, and I
do that all over the place.  If others extend or "modify" the library
by adding/substituting their own classes, there may be confusion about
what that means in the context of LGPL.

Nassib