Subject: Re: programs vs. libraries
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:33:11 -0400

> ... The idea behind GPL'ed software is this: We are selling you this
> software.  You don't have to ask us for our permission to buy it.
> All that you have to do is free your software.  If you can't afford
> that price, then you have to license the software.

Russ:

First, I do understand your point.

That said, I feel *no* moral obligation of any sort to buy into the
larger GPL mission.  The moral obligation, if any, is only to the
stated requirements of the license, though I agree that turning
programs into reusable components requires a re-examination of the
intent.

Let me pose two questions that we can maybe poke at and get somewhere:

1. Running gcc on top of Solaris doesn't require me to free Solaris.
   You seem to suggest that running Linux on top of EROS is different
   in some way.  I'ld appreciate your thoughts on why the two cases
   are not parallel.

2. If drivers are extracted from Linux and run as user mode software
   on an operating system that does user-mode drivers, the modified
   GPL driver clearly needs to be released under GPL.  Does the
   operating system?  The two are separate programs...

Please bear in mind that we're leaning toward Mozzleing EROS, so I
don't need conversion.  I'm trying to get a better handle on the
details of implementation at this point.

shap