Subject: list inactivity (was Re: Interesting Microsoft document)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:07:32 -0500

Thus spoke Kragen:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, David Welton wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 03:54:12PM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > > This document <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/halloween.html> is an
> > > internet Microsoft memo about Open Source(tm) software.
> >
> > Glad to see this list is alive - I was beginning to wonder.  I guess
> > everyone is awfully busy:->

> I'd been wondering about that myself.  Perhaps observers like me have
> crowded out the people on the list who actually run free software
> businesses?  Have they gone to discuss their stuff on a different mailing
> list?

I hope not.  I was happy to discover this list (hi, Kragen :), although
since I joined the list, it has been very quiet.

> On the other hand, this list has been totally silent for months at a
> time more than once.  Mailing lists have a tendency to do that; it
> doesn't always mean they're dead, or even moribund.

I agree.  However, in this case, I would love to hear day-to-day
(week-by-week?) reports of those in the "trenches" trying to run (or work
for) free software businesses.  I am sure those of us lurking with
aspirations of making a living (writ|develop|support)ing free software would
benefit to read such reports.

I am currently sustaining my bills working only on and with free software,
but a mixture of freelance consulting work, training-for-hire, research
grants, and high-school-teaching on GNU/Linux hardly counts as a "free
software business".  :)

--
     -  bkuhn@ebb.org    -    Bradley M. Kuhn    -    bkuhn@acm.org  -
                         http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn