Subject: Re: Estimating investments in Linux and other libre software
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:12:26 -0500

Thus spoke Kragen:

> > . . .  However, as a programming project, it had to wait until
> > one individual had the time, interest, ability, and opportunity.
>
> This happens with charities, too.  The critical scarce resource is
> people who are willing to spend *time* on the project, not people who
> are willing to spend money on it.

This is why I think that it is key to have places like the Free Software
Foundation that can accept donations and then *employ* full time programmers
to create free software.

Also, ideas like grants to write software, as well as "bidding systems",
where folks bid for free software they would like to see, would be of great
help to turn the "money" folks are more willing give into software.

--
     -  bkuhn@ebb.org    -    Bradley M. Kuhn    -    bkuhn@acm.org  -
                         http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn