Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@crynwr.com>
Date: 7 Nov 1998 04:32:53 -0000

The same Brian Bartholomew writes:
 > "All IP libre" doesn't mean you're allowed to lie, which is what a
 > fake bb@crynwr account is.

Did you send me mail there?  What's fake?

 > Under "all IP is libre", I could print out Russell's posts to fsb,
 > frame them, and sell them as genuine 100% Russell postings, because
 > they are.  But I couldn't forge postings and sell them as "newly
 > discovered Russells", because that would be lying.

I see you have abandoned the idea that all IP (including trademarks)
should be libre.  Good.  Don't think of trademarks as intellectual
property.  Think of them as ``human-readable digital signatures''.  :)

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text
Brian Bartholomew - bb@crynwr.com - www.crynwr.com - Crynwr Software, Potsdam, NY