Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:27:37 -0500

> I don't think you replied to my information service example.

Oops, sorry.

> The fact that I have an incentive to hoard the information is
> irrelevant, since such hoarding is impossible.

Hoarding is easy.  After you write your coffee-table book on comic
book trivia, you sell it as a piece of proprietary IP.  If you were
persuing a libre strategy, you would GPL it and post it on the web.

Refusing to produce the book on the grounds that proprietary IP is
morally different when it's stored in neurons instead of magnetic
media is also hoarding.

Refusing to produce the book (or website) on the grounds that a brain
implementation offers a better search engine is probably a cover
story for hoarding.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text