Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: "D. V. Henkel-Wallace" <gumby@zembu.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:23:21 -0800

At 15:09 30-03-99 -0500, William C. Cheng wrote:
>  D. V. Henkel-Wallace <gumby@zembu.com> wrote:
>  | Not at all.  Consider cygwin.  There's a GPL version and (for those who
>  | can't use GPL) a non-GPL version Cygnus sells.  Nothing happens
>  | automatically; If you execute an assignment Cygnus can add your code to
>  | its code base but you lose no rights...and you can use,and even
>  | distribute modified versions of the GPLed code without an assignment,
>  | just as you can with GCC.
>
>Doesn't Cygnus worry about the risk that one day the GPL'ed
>version may have a life of its own (and people won't contribute
>to their code base) and the non-GPL'ed version will be left
>behind?

Yep, they worried about it a lot, but that's what it takes to play in the
"open leagues", and an incentive to make the "official" version good.

So far it hasn't been an issue, and I doubt it will be.  I do think it's a
shame that Cygnus doesn't beat its chest more about the good things it does
for the free software community.  I think if it had it might have been a
better example to others.  But at least it does the right thing.